Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Welcome to Landrum Tables!

LANDRUM TABLES…
A HANDCRAFTED PIECE OF HISTORY IN YOUR HOME

Hello! My name is Capers L. Cauthen. Born and raised in Charleston, SC, I’ve spent a lifetime watching the destruction of old buildings and the memories within. As the son of a leading preservationist and curator (Henry F. Cauthen, Jr.), watching people throw out all that wood – and the history it contains – inspired me to start Landrum Tables.

My father passed to me a wealth of information about Charleston architecture and American furniture, and most of the wood I use to create a Landrum Table is from historic Charleston County itself. Every piece of wood I incorporate in my handmade design reveals its origin, personality and age in a thousand tiny ways – from its tool marks and style of construction to the type of wood that was used.

From my first drawings of a 1700’s slab table years ago to my pieces on permanent display at Charleston City Gallery, each design is original and carefully crafted to integrate the qualities and histories of the individual pieces of wood. With my love of both history and the environment, recycling old wood and the memories it contains gives me a sense of pride… it is an opportunity to remember, to preserve, and to showcase our country’s natural beauty and colorful past.

I invite you to discover my other unique pieces, which can be found everywhere from the Marion Square Charleston Farmer’s Market, to Enoteca Wine Bar on Percy St, Two Boroughs Larder on Coming St, Bull Street Gourmet on King St, and Charleston Flower Market on Maybank Hwy.  There are several styles of Landrum Tables, and they can be fitted to any desired size, shape, or stain color.

A true custom table with a heart, a soul, and a memory, Landrum Tables, are a unique way to bring a piece of history into your home and make it your own.

Please email me at landrum.tables@gmail.com or visit my blog at landrumtables.blogspot.com to see examples of what is available.
I look forward to creating for you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, My name is Nancy Cauthen. Are you aware that us Cauthens come from a family history of woodworkers? My great uncle, Wade Cauthen, made furniture in his home workshop in More land, GA. My dad, Roy E. Cauthen, started making dulcimers after he retired. I miss him so much. He died last January at the age of 88. My oldest brother, Gerald Cauthen, has been woodworking for 30 plus yrs. He used to make Grandfather clocks for income when he was in college at Auburn.
    Anyway, I also have started woodworking. I have inherited(sp) my dads woodworking shop of equipment. It is sooo special to me and I feel very grateful!!! I've made my first table. It turned out better than I invisioned it. I will send you a picture, if you want to see it.
    Also, there is a yearly Cauthen reunion. Always on the second Sunday in June. It is in Moreland GA. at what used to be the old mill.
    Years ago; there was a lady from Alabama who did the entire research of the Cauthen ancestry, all the way back to England. She, yes compiled a book. It is very interesting.
    At some point, if it is okay with you; I would like to come Charleston and meet you and see your shop?
    My email address is: nancaut@yahoo.com
    I DO hope to hear from you, when you have the time.
    Thanks & Take Care,
    Nancy Cauthen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry === I typed my email address wrong
    nancaut455@yahoo.com
    Nancy Cauthen

    ReplyDelete